The Dawson City Museum is housed in the beautiful Old Territorial Administration Building National Historic Site, one of the premier heritage attractions in the Klondike. The exhibits provide an in-depth look at Dawson's social and mining history, the Hän First Nations People, pre-gold rush history, the colourful Gold Rush era, and the natural history of the Klondike. Three Klondike Mines Railway locomotives, including one of the oldest preserved examples in Canada, are housed in the museum's train shelter. The Museum presents temporary exhibits, gallery tours by costumed interpreters, audiovisual programs, rocker box and gold pouring demonstrations, a series of special events, research services and a Gift and Coffee Shop.
Built in May 1885 by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Baldwin Consolidation engine, 2-8-0, 36 ½ drivers, 24 inch leading wheel, 15 x 18 inch cylinders. Includes a locomotive tender with the Klondike Mines Railway initials: K.M.R, which is stenciled on each side.
The second locomotive acquired by the Klondike Mines Railway Company was manufactured by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1885. The Baldwin locomotive, C/n 7597, was completed in May, it weighed fifty tons, and began its service as Columbia and Puget Sound Railroad locomotive No. 8. It was then sold to the White Pass and Yukon Route as their No.5 later renumbered as locomotive No. 55. When KMR bought the Baldwin C/n 7597, it was valued at $ 6500.
It arrived in the Klondike in 1905 and was put to work by 1906. This steam engine became the most-used locomotive in the Klondike Mining Railway's fleet until the railway closed in 1913. KMR was held by its owners Lawther and Latta until 1925 when the Yukon Consolidated Gold Corporation absorbed the defunct KMR. YCGC had in its possession the entire KMR fleet which they employed, sold, or donated to various enterprises. KMR No. 2 was donated, along with three other locomotives to the Dawson City Museum.
At the time of the 1961 donation, KMR No. 2 was in dismal condition. Its steam stack was knocked off, and the pilot and cab were completely gone. The locomotive and its tender, the car that held the fuel, rested in Minto Park in Dawson until the locomotive shelter was built in 1987. Dawson City Museum undertook a partial restoration, retaining as much original material as possible. The locomotive now lies out of the elements in the shelter on its grounds.
May 20 to Labour Day: Daily, 10am-6pm
Labour day to late September: Tuesday-Saturday, 1pm-5pm
October to mid-May: by appointment