The 2016 Yukon Heritage Awards will be presented in conjunction with a celebration of Heritage Day on Monday, February 20, 2017 at the Yukon Archives in Whitehorse. Doors open at 6:30 pm and the event will start at 7:00 pm.
Molly Shore, World Heritage Status Project Assistant for the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in First Nation, will give an illustrated talk on the Tr’ondëk-Klondike World Heritage Site nomination. Check out this video for more information on the project.
YHMA will be presenting five awards this year. Instead of granting an Annual Heritage Award, we are pleased to honour two people who have spent a lifetime pursuing their passion for Yukon heritage with History Maker Awards. We will also be presenting the Helen Couch Volunteer of the Year Award; an Innovation, Education and Community Engagement Award; and a Heritage Conservation Project of the Year Award. Please join us in celebrating the 2016 Yukon Heritage Award recipients!
- Innovation, Education and Community Engagement Award: Peter Long
- History Maker Award: Dr. Ruth Gotthardt
- History Maker Award: Sid van der Meer
- Helen Couch Volunteer of the Year Award: The North and the First World War Conference Committee
- Heritage Conservation Project of the Year Award: Village of Mayo (Mabel McIntyre House, also known as Mayo Mining Recorder’s Office
For more information on current and past recipients, click here.