Refer to the Elliott House which had been located at 306 Steele Street.
Two-storey Log Structure
The building has a squared log construction with a gambrel roof and shed dormers. The structure rests on a concrete foundation.
There had been extensive interior and exterior renovations undertaken in 1981 including the addition of a shed roofed log entry to south side.
This house was completed by Bob Campbell and Martin Marx in July 1944. It was built for T.C. Richards and family, to Mrs. Bernadine Richards specifications. It was furnished and decorated expensively by Mrs. Richards. T.C. Richards was a generous and 'colourful' character, and his home, with its stone fireplaces in the study, living room, and rumpus room, became a social centre in Whitehorse.
In 1937, T.C. won $20,000 as a down payment on the Whitehorse Inn in a poker game. The family lived there until 1944. After the family left the log home in 1951, it was used as a teacherage, then later occupied by the Whitehorse Game Branch, the Labour Standards Dept, and the Tourism Dept.
The Whitehorse Chamber of Commerce took over the management of the building in April 1976 for the Yukon Government. Only non-profit organizations are permitted to occupy the building.
T.C. Richards: came from Leicester, England to manage Burns Meats. In 1921, he began the first cattle drive to the Mayo area mines to provide the camps with fresh meat. Cattle were transported by steamer to Pelly, then driven overland the remainder of the route. Also in 1921, he and partner W.L. 'Deacon' Phelps inaugurated a winter tractor-train and passenger service from Whitehorse to Dawson. In 1928, they acquired the mail contract, and improved their service with triple assembly snowmobiles and caterpillars. The enterprise was called "Klondike Airways" although they never owned a plane. In 1937, T.C. won $20,000 as a down payment on the Whitehorse Inn in a poker game.