The one storey log structure has a wood sill foundation and dirt cellar. A gable roof covers the main structure and a hip roof was over the sun porch facing Wood Street. Shiplap siding covered the exterior.
In the early 1950’s the additions of a kitchen and bath to rear of house were completed.
The log house once located on Wood St. is thought to have been built sometime around 1910. The land was owned by Stephen Homer, a ship’s carpenter, who may have constructed the building himself. George Webster owned the house in 1913. Mr. Webster came to the Yukon with the North West Mounted Police at the turn of the century and remained in the service until taking his discharge in the summer of 1904. He was among the famous “skinners” or teamsters for the Royal Mail Service and a stable foreman. He later became the assistant to the general superintendent of White Pass.
William S. Drury bought the house in 1917 and lived there with his family until they moved out in 1923. Subsequently the house was rented out to employees of the Taylor and Drury store, including grocery manager Charley Atherton.
Howard Ryder purchased the house from Wally Techir in 1974. The structure remained unoccupied from 1974 onward and slowly deteriorated until a damaging fire in the winter of 1993, resulted in its demolition.
Stephen Homer: a ship carpenter and possible builder of house at 408a Wood Street.
George Webster: came to the Yukon with the N.W.M.P. and later worked as a “skinner” and stable foreman for the Royal Mail Service. He was employed by White Pass as an assistant to the general superintendent.
Charlie Atherton: Taylor & Drury employee, managed the grocery portion of the business.
John Parkinson: purchased the house from Bill Drury in 1957-59. Mr. Parkinson was an employee of Mr. Drury, working as a mechanic.