2116 Second Avenue
Refer to the Klondike Airways Building, at 201 Steele Street, which has been renovated and is now part of the Klondike Rib and Salmon Restaurant
Raised One-storey Frame Building
It is a one-storey wood frame building with a false façade and gable roof covered with cedar shingles and metal sheathing. The exterior is covered by a bevelled tongue and groove wood siding.
This building was first located on Second Avenue and Main Street, where the Bank of Montreal presently sits. It was moved to 2116 Second Avenue ca. 1944, presumably replacing the house which had sat on that site since 1929. The building consisted of a front and a rear section, although only the front portion made the move to its present location. The roof, now covered with metal, was originally cedar shingles.
In its original location, the building had been occupied by the Hubbard and Elliott General Store from as early as 1900. Hubbard and Elliott were responsible for a good deal of the copper mining in the Kenai Peninsula.
It is unknown how long the Hubbard and Elliott General store was in operation. After the move to 2116 Second Avenue, the building housed a variety of business; among them were a wicker store, a second hand store, and most recently, the Klondike Rib Restaurant.
- b. 1869 in Nevada
- came to Klondike 1897 for gold rush, but became interested in copper mining.
- owned Hubbard-Elliott Copper Company
- explored and mined the Kenai River area
- died in 1969, at the age of 99.
- Charlie Hubbard Mining Museum located in Seward.