112 Hanson Street
Located on Second Avenue between Lambert Street and Hanson Street on a block occupied by the former Taylor Chev / Olds dealership (new Tourism / Business Centre)
One-storey Log Residence
It was a one-storey log structure with a gable roof covered shortly thereafter with wood siding.
Several additions were made to the building. One section was a frame sun porch to front of house. Another was a shed roof frame addition to rear which added on four rooms.
This house was built by Ike Taylor, partner to William Drury in the Taylor and Drury Stores. The house was built from logs which came from Five Finger Rapids on a White Pass scow in 1907, then covered over with lumber. A glass porch and a lean-to were added. The house was vacant for two years after Mr. Taylor’s death in 1959, then was demolished in 1961.
Until 1974, the stores at the corner of Main and 1st Avenue were the last of 18 stores operated at different times throughout the Yukon by Isaac Taylor and William Drury. Both from England and Klondike-bound in 1898, Taylor and Drury joined forces in 1900. They bypassed Dawson City for the new gold strike in Atlin, B.C. With $200 and a 12′ by 14′ tent, they turned a profit buying outfits from disillusioned gold seekers and selling them back to new arrivals. Over a period of 75 years the initial profit from this little trading post grew into a business with annual gross sales of $3-million and 85 employees. When the railroad was completed to Bennett, Taylor and Drury moved the shop from Atlin to Bennett. They were both familiar with the clothing trade and Drury was a shoemaker with a sturdy sewing machine. He kept himself busy making sails for boats and scows going to Dawson. When the railway was completed in 1900, Taylor and Drury moved to Whitehorse on the first train. Almost overnight Whitehorse had become a rail and river transport centre. Taylor and Drury set their tent up on the river bank, at what is now First Ave. and Elliott Street, and in less than a year had expanded their business to include the Bon Marche Men’s Wear Store on 1st Ave. at Steele Street.