Langholtz Cabin & Fox Pens

Building Location: 

Parcel 244, Via Wickstrom Road East bank of Yukon River

Whitehorse, YT

Location Context: 

The Langholtz property was one of a few that dotted the east side of the Yukon River. In the early 1910’s, fox farms were established in and around Whitehorse to raise breeding foxes. The J.P. Whitney Silver Fox Farm was located just downstream from the Langholtz Fox Farm


One-storey Log Structure

Architectural History: 

The structure is a log building with a gable standing seam metal roof. Several additions including a log addition to north façade with a shed roof and a porch addition to west façade were constructed. A new foundation was also built which included a partial basement.

Cultural History: 

This log structure originally occupied a site in the first block of Strickland Street, near the present location of the Carpenter Union Hall, (106 Strickland St). The Strickland Street site was owned by Frederick Langholtz; on it was a freighting and wood supply business operated by Langholtz and Nels Neilson from 1912 to the early 1920s. The log structure was used as a stable and blacksmith’s shop. In 1923, the building was dismantled and the logs were numbered and hauled across the river where it was re-assembled by the Langholtzs on its current site. Prior to, and during the reconstruction of the house, the Langholtzs occupied two smaller log structures: one was used as a stable the other as a residence. The well-known Richards family moved into the residence sometime after 1925. In addition, Bud Harbottle, the nephew of Mr. and Mrs. Langholtz, lived in the house briefly in the 1970’s. All three buildings still remain, with only the main building in use as a residence. In addition, the fox pen once used in the fox farm operation remains relatively intact.