Taylor House

Building Location: 

412 Main Street

Whitehorse, YT Y1A2B7

Location Context: 

Refer to the W.S. Drury House and the Watson House. Both houses occupied the same 400 block of Main Street as the Taylor House.


Two-storey Log Structure

Architectural History: 

The log structure has a bell cast gambrel roof and shed dormers. There is a timber frame grade beam. Wood shingles are on the roof and exterior siding.

Cultural History: 

The house was built by Frank McVie, city works foreman, in 1937 for Bill Taylor. Bill, a bookkeeper and later manager of Taylor Chev Olds, was the son of Isaac Taylor, who opened the Taylor and Drury stores during the Yukon gold rush. The Taylors lived in the house until 1969, when it was purchased by the Yukon Chamber of Mines, a non-profit society which advocates the mining industry in the Yukon.

Biographical Information: 

Isaac Taylor: born in Thirsk, Yorkshire. Came to the Yukon in 1898. “Ike” Taylor and W.S. Drury opened eighteen Taylor and Drury stores throughout the Yukon. They began their 75 year partnership in Atlin, B.C. in 1899. When the railroad was completed to Bennett, Taylor and Drury moved their shop from Atlin to Bennett. They were both familiar with the clothing trade, and Drury was a shoemaker with a sturdy sewing machine. He kept himself busy making sails for boats and scows travelling to Dawson. When the railway was completed a year later, Taylor and Drury moved to Whitehorse on the first train. Almost overnight, Whitehorse had became a rail and river transport centre. Taylor and Drury set up their tent on the river bank, at what is now First Avenue and Elliott Street, and in less than a year, had expanded their business to include the Bon Marche Men’s Wear Store on First Avenue at Steele Street. Taylor died in 1959.

Current Use: Office / Yukon Heritage Resources Board
Past Use: Residence
Condition: Good
Foundation/Floor: Fair
Walls: Good
Windows/Doors: Good
Roof: Good