The house forms the western edge of Lepage Park
Two Storey Frame Building
The building is a two-storey wood frame building with a gable roof. It also has a glassed porch and second storey balcony. Bevelled wood siding and asphalt roof shingles complete the structure.
In 1917 the second storey of the building was added. The new foundation and its basement were added after the building's relocation to its current site in 1987.
This house was originally located at 208 Wood Street. It is believed to have been built around 1915, although it may date from as early as 1900. Newspapers and early photographs suggest that it was originally a one-storey house, to which a second floor was added in 1917. It was the home of Captain Patrick "Paddy" Martin and his family. Originally from Newfoundland, Captain Martin had been a sea captain on sailing ships prior to his arrival in the Yukon. After leaving the steamboat business, he opened a general merchandise and grocery store on First Avenue called the Arctic Trading Company. The Martin family occupied the house until the mid-1930's when they moved to the Chantler House at 204 Hawkins.
In 1980, all of block 18 was purchased by Territorial Gold placers, who donated the Martin House to the city of Whitehorse. The house was subsequently put in storage in the city compound, and was moved to its present location in LePage Park by the Lions Club in 1987.
The building now houses the Lions Club and the Yukon Volunteer Bureau.
Captain Martin: worked as a sea captain in Newfoundland before coming to the Yukon.