Refer to Hubbard & Elliott General Store, located next door on Second Avenue
One-storey Frame / Metal Building
The building was originally a tent which was covered by a wood frame shed structure with corrugated galvanized metal facade and a gable roof. It also had a timber crib foundation.
This building was renovated extensively in 1992 and 1993 which included interior alterations, foundation work and exterior refinishing.
This building appears as a wood frame building in a 1906 photo. It is located on a site previously occupied by a tent frame bakery. The building was later covered in galvanized metal and used as a warehouse. The land was originally owned by E.S. Busby, an American Customs Inspector who worked in the post office. In 1902 the building was sold to George Preston, general manager for the British Yukon Land Company. In 1903, it was bought by Robert Unsworth, who owned a hardware store on Front Street. In the 1930's, it was used by Jack French as a carpentry shop; coffins were constructed for use in the mortuary next door.
Klondike Airways was a mail and freight delivery business acquired by T.C. Richards and Willard Phelps in 1929. The building took on the name only in the company's later years of operation. The business was advertised with a painted sign on the north side of the building. Though the company hoped to acquire airplanes as a means of transporting freight and mail, they never did, but used snowmobiles and cat trains instead.
The building was purchased in 1992 by George Clarke and was extensively renovated. It is now used as a popular summer restaurant called Klondike Rib & Salmon BBQ.