It is believed, but not verified, that pan abode houses also sat across the street from this house and its twin house next door. Refer to the Earle House; the Roberts House, an identical pan abode structure located on the same property. Demolished in 1995.
One-storey Pan Abode House.
It was a wood prefabricated house of pan abode construction with a gabled roof. The basement was accessed by exterior stair. Stucco was the exterior finish and asphalt shingles covered the roof.
This pan abode house was one of many prefabricated dwellings that were shipped to the Yukon in numbered pieces and assembled on various sites. It uses a log-style construction of interlocking wood, but has the appearance of a framed house. In Whitehorse, these buildings proliferated in the 1940's and 1950's, particularly with housing provided by a company, as in this case; Taylor and Drury erected several pan abode houses in town for use by their many employees.
Until 1974, the stores at the corner of Main and First Avenue were the last of 18 stores which operated at different times throughout the Yukon under Isaac Taylor and William Drury. Both from England and Klondike-bound in 1898, Taylor and Drury joined forces in 1900. They bypassed Dawson City for the new gold strike in Atlin, B.C. With $200 and a 12' by 14' tent, they turned a profit buying outfits from disillusioned gold seekers and selling them back to new arrivals. In Whitehorse,Taylor and Drury set up their tent on the river bank, at what is now First Avenue and Elliott Street. In less than a year, they had expanded their business to include the Bon Marche Men's Wear Store on First Avenue at Steele Street. Over a period of 75 years, the initial profit from this little trading post grew into a business with annual gross sales of $3-million and 85 employees--Yukon's oldest merchandising firm.